Mediocre Presidents (was Re: Boni & Liveright Modern Library)

j b krygier jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu
Thu Jan 31 07:59:57 EST 2002

jwslaw wrote:

> you didnt tell us which mediocre pres (except for lincoln and washington,
> are there any other kind?), came from your home

Rutherford B. Hayes.  Lost the popular vote in 1876 by a few
hundred thousand, but had one more elecoral vote than Tilden.
Voting irregularities in Florida, among other states.

To keep this on topic: the site of Hayes' boyhood home is a
few doors from the bookstore where I found the B&L in a
DJ for $2.  They tore down Hayes' birthplace and built a gas
station a few decades ago.

He died in 1893, never having owned a ML edition.

JK

--
j   b   k r y g i e r

g e o l o g y  a n d  g e o g r a p h y
d e l a w a r e  o h  4 3 0 1 5

pho  740 368 3622   |   fax  740 368 3999

jbkrygie at owu.edu   |   http://www.owu.edu/~jbkrygie/