do these ml illustrated books exist in boxes?

Sharon Biederman sbiederm at nova.umuc.edu
Mon Jan 21 19:08:47 EST 2002

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 acpertusi at aol.com wrote:

> hello ml members:
> can anyone confirm that the following illustrated books exist in boxes:
> wuthering heights--bronte.e
> famous ghost stories--misc
> walden ----thoreau
> henry t. seems to thing that they may not, so I come to the collectors.
> anthony pertusi
> acpertusi at aol.com

Anthony,

A 1946 advertising brochure for the new additions to the illustrated
series indicates the forthcoming titles will be Don Quixote, Famous Ghost
Stories, Wuthering Heights and Walden.  There were no boxes.  The jackets
are mentioned as follows:

"Illustrated Modern Library now specially jacketed in heavy, long-life
MODERNVUE acetate to protect the bindings in your home."

By the way, at this point the Holy Bible and the two Shakespeares
were was no longer available in the series.

     Sharon