Book Collecting

Robert Sanger rsanger at sangerswysen.com
Thu Jan 10 12:06:08 EST 2002

Actually, there are, as you know, a number of theories as to who wrote the
"Shakespearian" plays.  Most scholars agree that it was not the actor who
has been immortalized.  He was not a particularly literate individual.   His
one remaining writing is his will in which he left his "second best bed" to
his wife and there is no mention of books or his own manuscripts.

There has been speculation that various single individuals of the time wrote
the works.  However, my favorite theory is that Bacon led a group of
courtiers and scholars which collectively wrote the works.  Support for this
is based on many things.

One prominent factor is that Bacon had advocated a literary project to be
taken on by the literati of the court.  There is no evidence that this was
ever done other than evidence that "Shakespeare's" works are, in fact, that
project.

Second, an analysis of the vocabulary of the works as a whole indicates
that, were it one author, s/he would have had a vocabulary that has been
unmatched by any other single author no matter how prolific.

Third,  a close examination of references to historical events and even the
flora and fauna found in various plays shows that certain plays or groups of
plays were probably written by people with specific life experiences in
specific geographical locations.

In any event, there is no conclusive proof one way or the other but the
foregoing may help explain my obscure reference.

Best to all,

Bob Sanger