Book Collecting

Toby G Levy tobylevy at juno.com
Tue Jan 8 22:56:02 EST 2002

Whoa!

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002 16:13:53 -0800 (PST) GOODBOOKS at webtv.net (JOSEPH HILL)
writes:
> Most (not all) book collectors never read the books that they  collect
> If for Heaven forbid,they are forced to read a title in their own
> collection,they go to the library or purchase a paperback of the
title.

As a former bookstore owner/operator and as a lifelong collector, I can
only state that my experience has shown the truth to be that it is a very
small percentage of prissy collectors that do not read the books they
collect.  Most people collect far more than they could ever read in a
lifetime, but the intention is to read the books.  Yes many books are
beautiful, sometimes delicate  works of art, and some books are of great
historical significance, but they are a tiny minority of collected books.

And, to come back on topic,  I bet it is the vast majority of  Modern
Library collectors read their books!

Toby