Faults Project: Kickoff questions

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Tue Feb 26 13:35:58 EST 2002

At 9:04 AM -0500 2/26/02, Sharon Biederman wrote:
>   My guess is the 90 per cent of the members of this list
>can already recognize 95 per cent of the faults we have mentioned.  Most
>people who collect Modern Library have been book collectors for
>some time and are relatively sophisticated.

I'm in half agreement here. Collecting ML's was my first (and still
only) book collecting experience. I couldn't figure out such basic
terms as "chipping" or "rubs" or "cocked" for quite a while. These
are terms that, while obvious to experienced collectors, can throw a
new collector. So I would include these terms. "Piece missing" is
pretty obvious, as is "glass ring" (assuming you've ever owned a
coffee table) - all from non-book collecting contexts.

>  It is very important to use
>standard bookselling terms that apply to all book collecting, not just the
>Modern Library.

Absolutely!!!

>      Finally, Henry Toledano's section on cleaning and repair of ML
>contains some clear and precise language on such flaws as a cocked spine
>as well as what might be done to minimize the problem.  I don't know if
>you want to include advice on repairs on not, since for some collectors
>they enhance the value of the book and for others, detract from it.

I think we should avoid advice on fixing stuff,
Maintaining the Modern Library Collecting Website at
http://www.dogeared.com
which (in turn) is supported by The Pavilion City Mall at
http://www.pavilioncity.com