Faults Project: Kickoff questions

Sharon Biederman sbiederm at nova.umuc.edu
Tue Feb 26 09:04:39 EST 2002

John,

    Sometimes the off center DJ, is a printer's error, not the result
of how the dust jacket was originally folded on to the book.  I have seen
examples where the print from the front or rear panels was only about a
1/4 inch from the printing on the spine.  In such cases it is impossible
to center the spine correctly without seeing print from one of the other
panels.  In other cases, all the lettering has been printed too far left
on the jacket so that if it is folded with the spine centered, one endflap
is much larger than the other.

     By the way, I agree with Scot that he should concentrate on the less
obvious flaws.  My guess is the 90 per cent of the members of this list
can already recognize 95 per cent of the faults we have mentioned.  Most
people who collect Modern Library have been book collectors for
some time and are relatively sophisticated.  I have rarely run into a
collector who can't identify basic flaws although I have often come across
sellers who describe books incorrectly.  It is very important to use
standard bookselling terms that apply to all book collecting, not just the
Modern Library.

     Finally, Henry Toledano's section on cleaning and repair of ML
contains some clear and precise language on such flaws as a cocked spine
as well as what might be done to minimize the problem.  I don't know if
you want to include advice on repairs on not, since for some collectors
they enhance the value of the book and for others, detract from it.

               Sharon