Faults Project: Kickoff questions

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Sun Feb 24 16:38:18 EST 2002

At 10:18 AM -0500 2/24/02, j b krygier wrote:
>I think it is important to get folks to send interesting and
>unique flaws, particularly examples where what is
>technically a flaw is not perceived as such by the owner.
>Not all flaws are flaws!

I agree with John here.

I love those little book stickers, and I really enjoy inscriptions -
stuff that shows the provenance of a book give the book life. I mean,
these books were owned and - I hope - enjoyed by real people. And I
love having books that were well cared-for. A near-fine 1930's book
whose only evidence of use is the gift inscription is to me more
valuable than a fine copy of the same vintage.

But we need some name, don't we? And faults - or flaws - is what
folks call that which keeps the book from its ideal state. The ideal
state - a correctly manufactured book without defects as it came from
the factory - is what most collectors hold as the ultimate
comparator; thus anything that moves away from that state is a flaw
or defect or fault.

Let's call them "faults" - while what we REALLY mean can be our little secret.

Maintaining the Modern Library Collecting Website at
http://www.dogeared.com
which (in turn) is supported by The Pavilion City Mall at
http://www.pavilioncity.com