Faults Project: Kickoff questions

Scot Kamins KAMINS at dogeared.com
Sat Feb 23 18:54:47 EST 2002

Howdy Faultfinders,

I've been thinking about the structure for the Faults Project. I'm
thinking it should be a dcitionary-like list of brief articles (a few
words,really) relying on illustrations, with cross-references within each
article.

For example, the article on Chipping would show a chipped dust jacket
(with the chips evident) - does chipping also apply to books?  if so,
there would be an example of that - with a few words describing what it
means. Chipping would be distinguished from similar conditions - Pieces
Missing, Rubbing, Open Tear - with linked XREFs to those articles.

How does this sound?

Also, I need the list of faults itself. Here are some entries to get us
started - I need more from you. (If you know of an Internet source that
already has a list, please direct me to it.) Don't worry about the form
of the word - "wrinkle" versus "wrinkling" versus "Wrinkled":

bookplate
bumped
chipping
closed tear
color changed
cracked
crimped
dampstain
darkened
edge worn
enscribed
ex libris
ex-library
faded
foxing
frayed
insect damage
missing pieces
open tear
price-clipped
remainder mark
rubbing
stain
starting (I'm unclear on what this is)
store lable
store stamp
webbing visible
wrinkled

What else you got?  If you don't know the name of the fault but you can
descibe it, please send that along. If you want to send a JPG example,
please do so - but send it to me at my personal e-mail
(kamins at dogeared.com) rather than to this listServ.

- Kamins