Question

HTatML at aol.com HTatML at aol.com
Wed Feb 20 14:32:18 EST 2002

I disagree with most forum contributors about price clipped djs.
It is my view that the condition terminology refers to the general impression
of the book and dj. Very Fine would be new, though I have seen many new books
that probably would not qualify as VF. Usually fine books and djs have a loss
of newness (gloss) and, of course, if they have more than one or two other
blemishes these would detract from the overall impression and therefore
condition.
Now as to price clip.
If the inclusion of the price is an important factor in the issue of the dj
then a price clip could denote that the dj is perhaps not a first issue at
all, and consequently avoided completely,  though it could be fine.
The second point is the size of the price clip. If it is very small it does
not detract from the dj as a whole, unless of course the price is somewhere
else other than on the flap, like in the middle of the spine for instance!.
However, if the overall impression is handsome and there is a small price
clip it must be mentioned in the description and the book would, in my view,
be fine. Fine does not mean new. Of course the ELSE FINE is something of a
joke, for you can say, stained, torn, nicked,   faded, etc ELSE FINE, which
of course is still true. In the final analysis the general impression of a
book and dj is subjective . Fine for this particular book, or fine for its
age etc  only means that it is not really fine.
My view above does not, in my opinion, refer specifically to Modern Library
books. My personal preferences for djs are: Spine first; very close behind
front panel, then rear panel, front flap followed by rear flap, finally
verso.

Henry at Books etc
<A HREF="http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/my-zshop/S2UJ2VG921GMXP/107-4701874-7344539">Books etc</A>
PMB 395,