sorta off topic: reserve prices

j b krygier jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu
Sun Feb 10 14:46:19 EST 2002

This may be a bit off-topic for this list, but what is the
point of reserve prices on eBay (or other) auction sites?

I am assuming there is a belief that bidders may skip bidding
if the actual $ the seller wanted for an item was known.  So
start the $ low, put on a reserve, and see if you can tempt
bidders into bidding more than they may originally have
thought they would pay for the item.  This seems a bit, well,
manipulative.

But I see many auctions where the seller lists the reserve in the
item description (or the seller will tell you if you email and ask).
So what is the point of having a reserve?

Am I missing something?

John K.

--
j   b   k r y g i e r

g e o l o g y  a n d  g e o g r a p h y
d e l a w a r e  o h  4 3 0 1 5

pho  740 368 3622   |   fax  740 368 3999

jbkrygie at owu.edu   |   http://www.owu.edu/~jbkrygie/