Next Project: Judging Condition?

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Thu Feb 7 13:24:47 EST 2002

At 9:32 AM -0700 2/7/02, Ron Thoman wrote:
>Anyway, I would appreciate some enlightenment on the glassine/acetate
>question as applied to early ML editions.

In my experience, I've not seen either term used to refer to early ML
editions. (I think of "early" meaning up to 1928 before the advent of
pictorial DJs.)

Rather, I've seen them used as interchangeable terms for the
transparent plastic dust jackets covering the illustrated editions.
(Henry called theme glassines; I call them acetates.)

They all had some text and/or image on them. The Ben Franklin and the
Longfellow had a sort of 3-D label of - what - paper & cloth (I
guess) affixed to the front center.

http://www.owu.edu/~map_/research/ML/fAuthors/FranklinJackets.html
http://www.owu.edu/~map_/research/ML/lAuthors/longfellowJackets.html

I suspect Henry's term is more correct, even though I use the other
(although I haven't researched it). I think of glassine as being
thicker than acetate; I associate "acetate" with the very thin
plastic sold by Brodart and such companies used to protect dust
jackets
Maintaining the Modern Library Collecting Website at
http://www.dogeared.com
which (in turn) is supported by The Pavilion City Mall at
http://www.pavilioncity.com