Project Condition

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Thu Feb 7 11:23:02 EST 2002

At 2:02 AM -0500 2/7/02, Bnjmnopbooks at aol.com wrote:
>  How many (main) condition-types do you think threr should be? Let's
>see Poor , Fair , Good , Very Good , Fine , Mint...six?

I'm of the opinion that condition labels would be secondary to a
discussion/description of flaws & faults. A condition label is based
on an overall assessment of a book and DJ. That judgment is
subjective at best. The standard joke is:

1) Grade the book objectively.
2) Add one grade if you're the seller, subtract one grade if you're the buyer.
3) Price the book.

If we were to discuss condition or show examples of the various
conditions, I'd propose the we focus on the most commonly used
classifications (and I'd recommend that folks see the AB Bookman list
referenced in a previous e-mail before reading further):

As New ("Mint" is a term more properly used for coins) - Meaning "As
if it came out of the just-unsealed box from the factory." Some folks
don't like this term because some factory-fresh books have odd flaws.
They prefer the next term on the list:

Fine -see above, but subtract the equivalent of "new car smell" from
the equation

Near Fine

Very Good

Good

Fair

Reading Copy - I'm of the opinion that anything less than Good isn't
really collectable (knowing full well that "collectable" itself is
totally personal), in the sense that such a book's resale value is
ziltch. This is, of course, arguable, given that good copies of B&L's
with fair and poor DJ's have brought tidy sums. An extreme example is
a Guttenberg Bible in poor condition - it's worth more than all our
houses put together.

By the way, I automatically ignore books listed as "<condition> for
its age." The categories apply to all books of all times.

Maintaining the Modern Library Collecting Website at
http://www.dogeared.com
which (in turn) is supported by The Pavilion City Mall at
http://www.pavilioncity.com