my own observations

Buck Lawrence mlawrence at thepeoples.com
Tue Feb 5 18:37:57 EST 2002

It seems to me that over the last several days the postings to this user's group have strayed from the original intent, that being to provide information about the Modern Library series of books.

I am just a collector, and probably not what some of you would call a very sophisticated collector. But, I have about 450 titles now. I appreciate the  hard work and dedication that Scott has done through his Modern Library web page.(I have actually down loaded some of the cover illustrations to compare to the covers that I have.) I enjoy acquiring and reading Alan Oestreich's Modern Library Collector publications. In fact, I have actually been to the "Holy of Holys"--Henry Toledano's house and seen his personal collection. So perhaps I do have something beside a passing interest in the field of Modern Library books. With that, I would just suggest we keep the subject matter focused on a better understanding of Modern Library books.

I live in a small town, and don't have access to major booksellers. So I appreciate the exposure  to  potential acquisitions that e-bay allows. I have my own internet browser favorite setting at e-bay, then books, then search--modern library. As of right now, e-bay is returning about 160 titles, of which only about two or three are the quirky "modern aviation library" etc. But by using the above, I have never received any of this miscellaneous non-modern library "stuff" that  seems to have triggered  these rather heated postings of late.

In fact, if one really wanted to reduce one"s time spent searching for acquisitions, why not just find a handful of dealers, who list on e-bay, and go directly to their e-bay selling sites? It's a tradeoff, you give up some acquisition possibilities: but, not only do you save time,  you are also assured that items listed are properly described. That is why, for me (and only me) I always look first to my two favorite lady booksellers (one in New York and the other in Maryland) as to their Modern Library offerings.

I apologize for this lengthy  posting. There is more than one way to "skin the cat", so we don't have to be "skinning" each other.  As Henry Toledano inscribed in my price guide:  "Keep searching--It's tough, but gradually the collection will build up."