OBSERVATION'S, QUESTIONS, ODDS AND ENDS

John M. Wolansky jwol at fast.net
Tue Feb 5 10:51:36 EST 2002

Joaqin,

In truth, yours was the shop I was thinking about when I asked the board for
solutions for the clutter.  Prior to receiving some excellent advice about
selection parameters I was reduced to skipping all of your offerings.  As
soon as I saw one, I glanced over the next several listings where your shop
appeared to have made the offering.  Consequently, any books you offered and
I wanted were are passed over.  That is unfortunate because we should have a
symbiotic relationship, me as a collector and you as a dealer.  I just
checked and noted that of the 437 items returned with the "Modern Library"
selection criteria, you have 102 items listed.  Some are not books, I
noticed Coke bottle memorabilia.  The problem is time, reading all the book
titles that are not Modern Library related.  I suspect, especially in view
of the "fixes" offered by some of the other list members, that more people,
especially those interested in Modern Library will also pass on your
offerings.  As a CPA from a business standpoint, I wonder if removing
"Modern Library Editions" from your offering template would increase,
decrease or have no effect on your ML sales?

I personally enjoy Scott's commentary and his sense of humor.  If anyone in
fact had a problem with Scott, I suspect it has to do with the interests of
dealers versus collectors.  As a collector, I have generally agreed with his
observations.  I have an interest in his thoughts and contributions, hope he
continues with the same attitude and demeanor he has in the past, and I
appreciate his efforts.  At some point, I may even deal, having acquired far
more books than my home can comfortably contain and as a seller, nothing
Scott has said would rankle me.

Hopefully, we can move ahead without the ill will and you will change your
marketing scheme ;-).

John