OBSEVATION'S, QUESTIONS, ODDS AND ENDS

John M. Wolansky jwol at fast.net
Sun Feb 3 10:56:42 EST 2002

-  By my reckoning, there have been over 700 posts since I joined the ML
list early last May.  I wonder if J. Krygier could tell me how many
subscribers he has?

-  C. Cale mentioned the Chronicles series, advising that the see through
frosted dust jackets are being discontinued.  The first book listed 21
forthcoming titles, the sixth book listed 29, and the Random House site now
lists 34; however, my impression is only the first nine have been released.
The Islam he identified as having the new paper is clearly a reprint, but it
looks the same on my screen.  I wonder if all subsequent new releases will
have paper rather than the frosties?

-  Speaking of paper, I visited a shop over a year ago with the largest
display of new 90's edition ML's I saw.  The salesclerk indicated the owner
collects them but ML was discontinuing the hardcover series in favor of the
stiff paper and eBooks.  Anyone know?

-  Hate the clutter on eBay.  Searching using the "search title and
description" feature results in a significant percent that are not ML's.
Seems that if a vendor lists Modern Library among his/her holdings, the
search feature will return all their books.  One dealer in Florida drives me
crazy.  Any solutions?

-  While browsing Scott K's jacket project, I noticed:
        - Great Detective Stories, 144.1 and .2, appear to have the same
dust jacket.  Closer examination reveals they are similar in theme, but
different in detail.  I know, I am easily amused.
        - Substantially all DJ's have either a colophon, a ML logo, "The
Modern Library", or "A Modern Library Book" on the cover.  I noticed four
that do not:1. Cotton Kingdom, Olmstead; 2. Cabala, Wilder, #155, 1929; 3.
Twentieth Century American Poetry, Misc., #127, 1970; Life of Michelangelo,
#49, 1929.  Wonder why.

-  There was discussion here a few months ago regarding title selection for
the series.  Happened upon an American Movie Channel show, part of the
Legends program, titled "Blocked, the Novelist Experience in Hollywood".
While surfing, I arrived at AMC and the camera panned across an entire shelf
of leatherette ML's, san DJ's.  It naturally got my attention.  A series of
authors' pictures followed, nearly all of whom are included in the ML.  They
were prominent novelists from the 20's on who wrote screenplays and
collectively endured an unfulfilling tour in Hollywood.  Some of the
pictures were: Thomas Mann, P. G. Wodehouse, John Steinbeck, Aldous Huxley,
William Saroyan, Dorothy Parker, Sinclair Lewis, Samuel Hoffenstein, Truman
Capote, Dachiell Hammett, and Bud Schulberg.