Have MLs in DJ become an endangered species?

j b krygier jbkrygie at owu.edu
Thu Dec 12 12:24:47 EST 2002

Matthew Buckingham wrote:

> In the recent exchange on erratum slips, I got the sense from several
> contributors that finding MLs in dust jacket (in bookstores) is becoming
> difficult to near impossible. Is this true?

Two local bookstores that keep a ML bookcase
seem to have a regular supply - about the same
as when I moved to central OH five years ago.
Mostly hard-cover, but I did get a flex Gautier
with a DJ for $8 a month or so back.

Another that does not segregate MLs seems to
provide me with something I don't have about
once every other month (this is a store with
lots of 40s and earlier books).  A recent trip to
Madison WI also found the one bookstore there
that has a case full of MLs to have about the
same as usual.  This is a place that turns up
DJed copies of titles like "The Island Within."
A few other bookstores there had a few dozen
nice MLs in stock.

So from this limited assessment - stores that
seek out MLs or have access to old stock seem
to have a decent supply.  Alas - most are the
more common titles from the 50s and later.

I might be willing to say that bookstores that
don't have a ML section seem to have fewer MLs
than maybe 5 years ago - sort of corresponding
to fewer and fewer older (pre 60s) books in
general.

But then eBay seems to consistently have about
400 MLs at any given time and that number does
not seem to vary much.

There are still alot of MLs out there.  But it
takes alot of time to root them out.  Columbus
and Madison are ML cities, and I certainly
agree that Milwaukee (near my hometown) is not
anymore.  I guess a ML city would be one with
at least one bookstore with a substantial case
of MLs.  Someone needs to make a map.

jk