Have MLs in DJ become an endangered species?

GrmChiTown at aol.com GrmChiTown at aol.com
Thu Dec 12 09:40:00 EST 2002

Yes, I have noticed the same trend.  I think you are on to something.

>From time to time I go to bookstores in Springfield and Chicago, Illinois;
and in Milwaukee, which have an ML section.   Until about one year ago, each
store would have several dozen MLs in stock, most of which were without dj,
but yet several with dj and worth looking at.   At one store in downtown
Milwaukee about 18 months ago I purchased, for example, a three-volume ML set
with dj of the Fall of the Roman Empire at a very decent (low two-figure)
price.  The sales clerk smiled at me and commented, "I wondered how long that
would last."  So she knew.  Now, the only MLs in stock currently at that same
bookstore are without djs and not even in very good condition at that.  All
the rest are gone.

So is this good news or bad news?  I guess good news in that larger numbers
of people are joining us and are confirming our wisdom, but bad news in that
the prices will surely be going up as MLs with djs become comparative
rarities.

Gordon R. McCoy