Federalist First Edition Question

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Tue Dec 10 16:34:08 EST 2002

Here's a question for all ML collectors.  All first
printings of THE FEDERALIST (139.3) that I've examined have
a 3-line acknowledgment to the Carnegie Corporation of New
York below the statement FIRST MODERN LIBRARY EDITION | 1941.

Later printings omit the first statement and substitute a 4-
line acknowledgment to the National Home Library
Foundation.  The book was printed from plates owned by the
National Home Library Foundation, which made the plates
available to the ML in exchange for a complete set of ML
books.  Shortly after publication, the Foundation's director
wrote that the acknowledgment to the Carnegie Corporation
would have to be replaced by one to the National Home
Library Foundation.  Klopfer promised to tear out the title
leaf of every copy in stock and tip in a replacement leaf
with the requested correction.

I don't know if this was ever done.  I've never seen a copy
with a tipped in title leaf.  If it exists I assume it also
includes the 1st ML statement.  Does anyone have a copy of
the first printing of THE FEDERALIST with the 4-line
acknowledgment to the National Home Library Foundation on
the verso of the title page?  (The first printing has a
catalog on pp. 619-23 that includes Hugo, Hunchback of Notre
Dame but not Bemelmans, My War with the U.S.)

I'll be grateful if you could check your collections and let
me know if you have a first with a tipped in title leaf and
the corrected acknowledgment.  If it exists it would be the
second state of the first printing.

Incidentally, I just acquired a fall 1946 copy of 139.4
which adds the Declartion of Independence on pp. 619-22.
This is a full year earlier than the earliest copy I had
previously seen with the Declaration of Independence.
Henry's Guide can be corrected accordingly.

Many thanks!

Barry
Gordon B. Neavill
Associate Professor