Quiet American

srfox srfox at mac.com
Mon Dec 9 19:11:56 EST 2002

This discussion reminds me of something similar that happened to me
recently, although it differs in the thing being collected, and
in the amount of money involved.

I recently sold a collector car made and marketed by a Famous Car Guy
to the Famous Car Guy Himself.  I was under the
impression he was adding it to his very tasty and very extensive
personal collection. However, he re-titled it and re-sold it
very quickly as "Famous Car Guy's personal car".  He made a five-figure
profit.

  A few months later the newest owner
tracked me down and offered the car for sale.  I  told him, politely,
that while I could understand why some people might
consider the temporary ownership to have added value to the car, it
added nothing for me. I offered him
my original selling price, but advised him to turn down my offer as
unfair to him.  He did, and sold his car for his
original purchase price ten days later.  The car has now crossed the
country in a trailer 3 times.

Was it really the "Famous Car Guy's personal car"? Maybe legally, but
not to me.  But,
as always, something is worth exactly what someone else will pay for it.

Steve Fox
FoxVintageRacing