Quiet American

david medsker dsmedsker at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 9 18:44:23 EST 2002

The genuine article is always critical in collecting and the integrity of
dealers, however with the problem of missing pieces or pages, what would be
wrong with making corrective restorative repairs and marking them with
"copy" like they do in the legal system to separate the court's paper from
the attorney's and client's papers?

I paint cars for a living, and although I do my best to make the repair
seamless and invisible, only an unscrupulous person would represent such a
vehicle as cherry when in fact it's been repaired, no matter how well the
repair is made. I could understand someone after the fact and without the
information making the mistake of thinking the car was cherry if I did a
good job, though. This is the area where you really get to find out the
integrity of a person, especially if they stand to gain from not exploring
every possible test of genuine article vs. copy.

In the collecting of leatherettes (my interest) I would be delighted to have
them all in dustjackets, color and date matched, then if the dj is removed,
the inside blank page is stamped "COPY". Or would something like this put
the power of printing money in the hands of unscrupulous traders?

I could see a little cottage industry, "DJ Scans by Kamins", unlicensed
reproductions for collectors. After all the homes in Portland are sold, of
course.

OR have I been spraying paint without a respirator again?

david medsker