Blue?

j b krygier jbkrygie at owu.edu
Sat Dec 7 09:03:45 EST 2002

"Matthew Buckingham" wrote:

 > I guess I don't have empirical proof that ALL B&L dust jackets were once
 > blue, but I believe they were based on two I've examined in person
 > (including the attached image), plus the images cited below on Scot's
 > dogeared site, as well as images I've seen of books that appeared to be in a
 > transitional state of oxidation, fading from pale blue to brown. In any
 > case, it is a very pale blue that doesn't show up well in computer scans.
 > Perhaps other collectors have seen examples.

One more bit of info the B&L DJ paper color issue: this
from issue #27 of the ML Collector, as reproduced
from the NY Times in 1924; it is an article complaining
that William Dean Howells is not in the Modern Library;
the article was inspired by B&L sending the NY Times a
series of ML titles to review:

"Glancing through the score of volumes on the shelf, and
supplementing that inquiry with a careful study of the
entire list of the Modern library as printed on the
charming red and cream book-jackets, I have failed to find
any example of the work of our greatest American master of
English prose.  The man, of course, is William Dean Howells."

So B&L DJs must have been printed on cream/tan paper, as
well as blue paper.

Horace Liveright responded to the article by pointing
out that Howell's "Hazard of New Fortunes" was in the
ML and failed.  Poor Willy Dean!

Jk