Salammbo

John M. Wolansky jwol at fast.net
Wed Dec 4 14:34:07 EST 2002

I agree about renumbering.  It would require changing the inventory code for
many of the books I own.  I own a lot of ML books.  Would using a decimal
for stages in cover evolution be practical?  For example, if there is an
intermediary cover between #4 and #5 could it be assigned 4.1?  A balloon
cloth with #4 markings would be assigned 4.1.  Or the "oversized" #7's
preceding the introduction of #8 could be 7.1.  This would minimize the
number of adjustments to my inventory, having only to contend with the
transitional bindings.  I currently use a ? for those not identified in
Henry's book.

I vote for recognition of these short lived covers, particularly where there
are a number of them issued, like the oversized #7's.

By the way, I have oversized copies of 128.1, The Rainbow by Lawrence.  I do
not recall any reference being made to there being an oversized cover #4.
Both copies I have are stated firsts and are clearly 1/4" taller than the
standard #4.  The type on the pages make full use of the extra height, with
nominal top and bottom margins.  Suggests to me that the Modern Library cut
the covers to accommodate whatever larger plates were used in this edition
rather than this being a transitional cover.  Anyone else notice this?

John Wolansky