Salammbo

Sharon Biederman sbiederm at nova.umuc.edu
Wed Dec 4 11:58:34 EST 2002

John and Scott,

   Deciding which bindings were permanent and which were "oddballs" can be
difficult.  I agree that the 1929 transitional bindings are a midpoint in
the evolution from leatherette/Bernhard to balloon cloth/Kent, but I see
binding #12 as a similar case where the new Fujita style was rolled out in
stages.  The real problem is that we are all familiar with spine #5 as the
grape leaves and renumbering to accommodate intermediate stages could be
very disconcerting, much like renumbering a street because of the addition
of a new house.  What do others think?

                           Sharon