a bad e-bay experience

Matthew Buckingham mdbuckingham at msn.com
Mon Dec 2 23:01:11 EST 2002

Cross your fingers and the seller may still do the right thing. If he does, be especially effusive with positive feedback. Do NOT resort to negative feedback: It will accomplish nothing and only result in retaliation. Why sully your (or the seller's) feedback rating over what may be a mutual misunderstanding? My experience in negotiating returns/refunds on eBay (I've done this many, many times): Be really, really nice. Negotiate everything up front before returning any merchandise. Be willing to eat postage costs.

In future, ask lots of questions and keep copies of the answers until the sale is completed to your satisfaction; that way you can remember what the seller said about an item and remind him of it when negotiating a refund ("You said the dust jacket wasn't price-clipped," etc.).

Which seller are we talking about, anyway?