The Price Clip DJ Problem

HTatML at aol.com HTatML at aol.com
Fri Aug 23 12:09:23 EDT 2002

I will put my own penny's worth of opinion into the mix.
First of all "Fine" does not mean new. "Fine" as I see it refers to the
overall impression of the book, as do the other condition classifications. A
book, in my view, can have very minor blemishes  and still be fine. A small
price clip would in my opinion fall into the category of a minor blemish for
most books, except where the price is a crucial factor in determing the
edition, like post 1970 ML or books published by Holiday House. And as far as
I am concerned there is a vast difference between a Very Good copy and a Fine
one. I usually place Very Good copies some 40-50% less than a fine copy. Of
course with very old material the Very Good is probably all you will find and
it would still be very expensive. I am quite happy with BL dust jackets which
are only VG, though I have some fine ones too. I would, in virtually all
cases, go for the immediate impression of a book. For the most part a book is
on a shelf. The first visible thing is the spine, so I am very picky about
its appearance. A price clip mean that you actually have to pick the book up,
open it and see if it is price clipped. A much lesser priority as far as I am
concerned.

Henry at Books etc
<A HREF="http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/ts/my-zshop/S2UJ2VG921GMXP/107-4701874-7344539">Books etc</A>
PMB 395,