On the value of books [was:Re: Post-1970 MLs (was Re: Curious ML Binding)]

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Tue Aug 20 15:50:42 EDT 2002

At 2:53 PM -0400 8/20/02, j b krygier wrote:

>  > Maybe a 'true'
>first of this title should be worth more than the
>G it is assigned in the Guide.

I think that there's a danger in relying on the pricing suggestions
made in the Guide. (I say this mostly for the benefit of newbies;
John already knows this, of course.) The prices in the Guide are
there to provide a frame of reference of relative value based on the
writer's observations of the market at the time of the writing. The
apparent scarcity of a volume changes as new copies come on the
market.

For example, we've seen that there are far more copies of the
Illustrated Alice than we thought just a few years ago. As the
apparent scarcity changes, so does the book's value. The Alice isn't
worth what it once was . (Having said that, I feel a need to repeat
the obvious maxim that a book is only worth what somebody is willing
to pay for it.)

By the same token, even with the vast resource that is the Internet,
we've seen practically no jacketed versions of first catalogue B-L's
emerge. When was the last time anyone has seen a jacketed 1.1 offered
on eBay or anywhere else for that matter?

Anyway, my Two Euro's worth for the day.

Associate Broker
(with Scott Trahan Realty Brokerage)
"I Listen."
(503) 997-0199