Curious ML Binding

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sat Aug 17 20:12:46 EDT 2002

John's copy of Irwin Shaw's SELECTED SHORT STORIES probably
dates from around 1971.  The price of ML books went up to
$2.95 in 1970, so it can't be earlier than that.  Plain
white endpapers were commonly substituted for Fujita's "ml"
endpaper after 1970.  The binding is an anomaly.
Fujita's "ml" design on the front panel of the binding is
normal for this period; the older spine design isn't.  Maybe
the ML never got round to cutting a new die for the spine of
this title.  Maybe the later die was lost or broken and the
older die had to be used in its place.  Or maybe the older
die was used by accident.  Such things happen.  This is the
first time I've seen this spine design used with Fujita's
front panel design.

What's surprising is that Shaw's SELECTED SHORT STORIES was
being published at all after 1970.  RH was discontinuing one
ML title after another in 1971.  A huge part of the series
disappeared that year.  Shaw's collection of short stories
was exempted so RH could retain control of the anthology
rights.  Shaw had left RH in the mid-1960s after a 30-year
association with the firm.  SELECTED SHORT STORIES was an
original collection of his stories, compiled by Shaw for the
ML when he was still a RH author.  Apparently RH's rights to
the collection lasted as long as it remained in print.
John's copy is probably the final printing.  Shaw's SELECTED
SHORT STORIES was discontinued in late 1973 or early 1974.

Barry