Chandler: Farewell My Lovely/Lady in the Lake

scot kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Sun Apr 28 15:25:27 EDT 2002

> I am new this list and know very little about collecting fine books (I have
> been buying, reading, and keeping books all my life) I wonder if someone
> would explain what the binding #'s mean, and what is Toledano guide?

This list deals specifically and only with books in the Modern Library
series of (mostly) reprints published from 1917 through the present,
published first by Boni & Liveright, then Modern Library Inc., and finally
Random House.

"Binding number" refers to one of eighteen (or so) styles of binding in
which the book blocks (all the pages) are housed. These bindings are
described and pictured in the Toledano guide, short for "Modern Library
Price Guide 1917-1990," 3rd revised edition, compiled and written by Henry
Toledano. (The Toledano Guide is the bible of Modern Library collecting.)

For a review of the Modern Library Guide, go to:
http://www.dogeared.com and click the appropriate link.

Portland's Newest Real Estate Agent
"I Listen - I'm Too New Not To!"
+1 (503) 731-5899