Chandler: Farewell My Lovely/Lady in the Lake

j b krygier jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu
Sun Apr 28 12:02:09 EDT 2002

Hi Modlib,

The group has been rather quiet as of late!

I found a 1st ed of Chandler's "Farewell My Lovely/Lady in the Lake"
(ML 377.1) and was diligently checking it off in my Toledano guide
when I noticed the book has Toledano binding 12, but with Kent
endpapers.  A non-1st ed. of this title in my possession has binding
12 with the Fujita endpapers.  Henry's Guide implies that binding 11
was the last with Kent endpapers.

This was, obviously, an exciting discovery on a quiet sunday morn.

I checked my other 1967 1sts and found:

    Auchincloss: Rector of Justin: Fujita
    Faulkner: As I Lay Dying: Kent
    Faulkner: Pylon: Fujita
    Greene: Quiet American: Fujita
    Misc.: Renaissance Philosophy, v. 1: Fujita
    Sartre: Reprieve: Fujita

I don't have 1sts of Bradford: Of Plymouth Plantation, Misc.: Four
Contemporary French Plays, or Wilde: Picture of Dorian Gray.

So, there are at least two titles (Chandler and Faulkner's As I Lay
Dying) where binding 12 did have the older Kent endpapers.

John K.

--
j   b   k r y g i e r

g e o l o g y  a n d  g e o g r a p h y
d e l a w a r e  o h  4 3 0 1 5

pho  740 368 3622   |   fax  740 368 3999

jbkrygie at owu.edu   |   http://www.owu.edu/~jbkrygie/