Fwd: Re: Question for seller -- Item #1527874625

Matthew Buckingham mdbuckingham at email.msn.com
Mon Apr 8 00:53:40 EDT 2002

I agree with Scot. Some people are so nasty that I make it a policy of never
offering unsolicited advice unless the seller's error is so egregious that
it almost constitutes felony fraud. (Sellers who honestly want to learn more
about Modern Library books are a whole different story--gracious,
inquisitive, share their own stories about prices, cool book finds, etc.
They know you're giving them free information that they can turn into a
profit.)

My horror story: A seller was representing a scruffy, unjacketed ML reprint
of Bram Stoker's Dracula as a first edition--not merely a "Modern Library
first" or a "first thus" but a first first. (The copyright page says 1897 so
it must be so, right?) I normally ignore crap like this because it's so
common and nobody with a lick of sense falls for it, but this time the
bidding had climbed to well over $100. Anyway, I e-mailed a polite caveat
emptor to the high bidder and laid low, because technically this is a
violation of eBay rules: they call it "transaction interference" (eBay
apparently has no moral compunction against collecting fat commissions on
sales you or I would term swindles). Within a few hours I had reaped the
whirlwind: the seller stopped the auction in an outrage, of course, but then
the high bidder e-mailed me, insisting that she knew exactly what she was
doing--she'd been searching for that book for months!--and that my username
had been "reported to the proper authorities." Fortunately, I had taken
precautions against such "blowback" by registering an assumed username under
a Hotmail account before e-mailing the bidder. Never again.

Matt B.