At Random/Dear Donald

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Apr 7 16:17:20 EDT 2002

I haven't yet seen DEAR DONALD, DEAR BENNETT, but I've read
the original letters in the Bennett Cerf collection at
Columbia University Library and found them fascinating.
Cerf and Klopfer were lifelong friends as well as business
partners, and the correspondence reflects the warmth of
their friendship.  It also served to keep Klopfer in touch
with the business while he was stationed in Britain during
the war.  Klopfer applied for a commission in the Air Force
after Pearl Harbor and served as an intelligence officer
with a heavy bomber squadron in the Eighth Air Force.  It
was the job he wanted, and when he stopped by Random House
to say his final goodbyes before leaving for London, Cerf
thought he looked "happier and more excited than I have ever
seen him in my life before."  Klopfer was 39 when he entered
the service. He was commissioned as a Captain and promoted
to Major  Cerf was four years older and too old for military
service.  In 1943 he stated, "I may as well face the fact
that I am 45, that I am nearsighted as a bat, and that
somebody has got to keep Random House rolling along."

The correspondence is full of business details.  I found
this information fascinating.  Not all of it is about the ML
but much of it is.  The ML still accounted for the largest
part of the firm's business at this time.  There's also a
certain amount of gossip about authors and literary figures
that Klopfer encountered in London.  I don't know what
portion of the letters ended up in the book, but I thought
the letters were especially valuable in terms of what they
tell us about the friendship of the founders of Random House
and in terms of the perspective they give on the war and how
the war affected a still young and growing business like
Random House.  There's also plenty of information about the
ML and RH.

I'll have to pick up a copy straightaway!

Barry