Very Peculiar ML Dust Jacket

GORDON NEAVILL aa3401 at wayne.edu
Thu Apr 4 23:49:35 EST 2002

Gosh, Amy, I'd forgotten all about that 10-year-old column.
I don't know if the jacket was used on all 37 titles in
print in spring 1918.  I've only seen it on Evolution in
Modern Thought and now on the two titles on eBay.  I can't
imagine what B&L was thinking when they used the generic
jacket since it doesn't reveal the title of the book inside
it.  Somebody, maybe the bookseller, had to tear the top off
the spine of the jacket to reveal the book's title.  Both of
the eBay jackets are torn at the top of the spine, as was
the one I examined. I can think of only two explanations for
such a jacket.  Maybe jackets for individual ML titles had
run short on several occasions and they decided to order
some generic jackets that could be used in a pinch on any ML
book.  Or maybe it was conceived during the later stages of
one of the legendary B&L office cocktail parties.

All I can say for sure is that it dates from spring 1918
since the list of titles on the front and back flaps goes
through 37, Evolution in Modern Thought.

Barry Neavill