Very Peculiar ML Dust Jacket

j b krygier jbkrygie at owu.edu
Wed Apr 3 10:55:48 EST 2002

Hi ModLib,

Once in a great while eBay turns up startling Modern Library
items.  I just about choked on my coffee this morning when
I saw an early Boni and Liveright ML (Poems, Wilde) with
a DJ style I have never seen before:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1528514627

The DJ looks 'generic' - no indication of title or author on
the front of the DJ only "The Modern Library" and "Limp
Croft Leather" and a peculiar splotchy design.  The DJ
spine is damaged, so not sure if the author/title was printed
there.  Given the photo of the inside DJ flaps, it looks
official.

I have seen lots of pictures of B&L in DJ (many are shown
in Andes Bibliography), have seen a reasonable number
in person, and have read just about everything that
has been written on MLs and have never seen nor heard of
such a DJ.

So, experts: what is the story behind this strange ML DJ?

[ps: I have no connection to the seller]

John K.

--
j   b   k r y g i e r

g e o l o g y  a n d  g e o g r a p h y
d e l a w a r e  o h  4 3 0 1 5

pho  740 368 3622   |   fax  740 368 3999

jbkrygie at owu.edu   |   http://www.owu.edu/~jbkrygie/