Number Change

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Wed Oct 31 11:37:36 EST 2001

I have a few copies where the back of the dust jacket has one number (but
a number specificaly stated, indicating that the number given is the
EXACT number of titles extant) but the inverse of the dust jacket ("Which
of these XXX outstanding...") has another number. In such a case, I go by
the inverse number and confirm it by doing detective work on the titles
listed. I use the chart at dogeared to do it:

http://www.dogeared.com/Identifiers/indentifyDate.html

In a recent e-mail, sbiederm at nova.umuc.edu said (in part):

>   As you indicated, the number 250 is on the back of the DJ on titles
>from 1940 and 1941.  I'm guessing 250 appears on most if not all of the
>books printed in those years.  But it's not really a typo.  The wording is
>"over 250 great titles," which was true, although some were not so great.
>My copy of Dorothy Parker's Short Stories (1942) mentions 275 titles on
>the back, whereas the inside number is 281. Later they used the number 300
>for several years.  I've always seen the back of the hardcover DJs as a
>guide to the general age of the title, a kind of generic number, but not
>the specific printing.

+1 (503) 731-5899
Obscurities clarified
Computer books, manuals, and on-line help systems designed and written
Resume at http://www.dogeared.com/Footer/teachingResume.html