Number Change

Sharon Biederman sbiederm at nova.umuc.edu
Wed Oct 31 08:25:23 EST 2001

John,

   As you indicated, the number 250 is on the back of the DJ on titles
from 1940 and 1941.  I'm guessing 250 appears on most if not all of the
books printed in those years.  But it's not really a typo.  The wording is
"over 250 great titles," which was true, although some were not so great.
My copy of Dorothy Parker's Short Stories (1942) mentions 275 titles on
the back, whereas the inside number is 281. Later they used the number 300
for several years.  I've always seen the back of the hardcover DJs as a
guide to the general age of the title, a kind of generic number, but not
the specific printing.

    What does everyone else think?

             Sharon