Number Change

j b krygier jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu
Wed Oct 31 07:23:44 EST 2001

JOSEPH HILL wrote:

> I don;t know,as I have not been keeping up with it so,perhaps the number
> has been corrected.
> Today I picked up a Fine First of-The Short Bible.
> The number is 250
> 274 titles are listed in MLPG

Curious!

I am guessing that this is a typo on the DJ.  The first ed of "The
Short Bible" is 1940, so it should list 271 or 274 titles.  250
would make it 1937 or 1938, and thus a flex cover (I am assuming
the copy you have his HC).  Anyone else have this number on a
1st of the Short Bible?  Do let us know if this is a flex copy of
the "Short Bible"...that would be a find!  On the other hand, a
HC issued in 1937 would also be a find.

I have noticed that the number of titles on the back of the DJ for
1939-early 40s is often wrong.  I have copies of Feuchtwanger's
"Power" with 274 titles listed inside and 250 on the back, also a
copy of Lewishon's "Island Within" with 271 titles listed inside
the DJ and 250 on the back.  Maybe the printer for the "Short
Bible" ML DJ didn't want to count the actual number of titles and
used the number on the DJ back for the inside of the DJ.

JK

--
j   b   k r y g i e r

g e o l o g y  a n d  g e o g r a p h y
d e l a w a r e  o h  4 3 0 1 5

pho  740 368 3622   |   fax  740 368 3999

jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu   |   http://www.owu.edu/~jbkrygie/