Which to sell, which to keep?

j b krygier jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu
Sun Oct 14 10:39:45 EDT 2001

Scot Kamins wrote:

> I have two copies of a Gorky first B&L Creatures in dust jacket. One
> (called copy A) has little chipping but the front is separated from the
> dust jacket and has internal tears.The other (copy B) has extensive
> chipping but is whole.
>
> Which would sell, and which would you keep?

Seems like a seperated DJ front is easier to fix and hide
than big chips from the DJ, thus I would also keep copy A.
But  adjust the DJ under the mylar so that unsightly
white stripe is gone, Scot!

I am assuming that the value of a book is largely dependent
on its lack of visual flaws - so a weak spine, or split DJ (as
above), or even 'hidden' flaws (like lots of pen check marks
on the inside DJ list of titles, or a remainder mark on the
bottom of the book pages) don't matter as much as DJ chips,
ink underlining, water stains, DJ fading, etc.  Other hidden
flaws, like the fact that some MLs are just not much fun to
read, do not seem to matter at all.

jk

--
j   b   k r y g i e r

g e o l o g y  a n d  g e o g r a p h y
d e l a w a r e  o h  4 3 0 1 5

pho  740 368 3622   |   fax  740 368 3999

jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu   |   http://www.owu.edu/~jbkrygie/