Wrapping books for mailing: an art? a drag? a science?

By the Book bythbook at nycap.rr.com
Fri Oct 5 17:37:41 EDT 2001

Art, science, drag  - yep!

We make that same effort to wrap books securely, and we don't cut corners on
wrapping inexpensive books because they are inexpensive. But don't worry
about the hourly rate for bookselling being dragged down by time taken to
wrap 'em... it takes a lot longer to FIND them!

(When we stopped scouting garage sales, our hourly income leaped from $.05
to $.25!!!!)

But the ugly truth is (for Kate and me, anyway) we'd be spending the hours
finding books even if we didn't sell them.

I think the time on wrapping well pays off in repeat customers and in
essentially ending returns due to damage in the mails.

C'mon- why wait till you retire? Join the fun NOW.

Best,

Jon and Kate Butler
By the Book
Fine modern first editions and more at