Wrapping books for mailing: an art? a drag? a science?

GrmChiTown at aol.com GrmChiTown at aol.com
Fri Oct 5 12:35:09 EDT 2001

Hello, Modern Library collecting colleagues.

I signed up for the list a few days ago and figured this would be a good time
to stop lurking and say something.

Yesterday I received a book in the mail (not ML) for which I had successfully
bid on eBay.  After spending several minutes with scissors and vigorous
fingers unwrapping the package, I mused for awhile on the extraordinary
effort the sender had put into finding the wrapping materials (at least
twelve pieces of cardboard, the type backing a writing tablet) and taping
them together to form a multi-layered protection for this inexpensive (under
$10) paperback book. The book was in excellent condition, having been
slipped, in turn, into a well-fitting plastic cover.

I could only assume that the sender is not a dealer, as surely it would not
be possible to make a profit spending (surely) fifteen minutes to bind and
wrap an item which sold for less than $10.    This raised some other
questions.   Given the low prices of most ML material, do we ever get beyond
the "labor of love" stage in selling them or exchanging them?  I am not now a
dealer, but have considered trying it when I go into semi-retirement.   I
would be interested in your feedback on this.

My name is Gordon R. McCoy and I live in the Hyde Park section of Chicago.
Hello again, all.