Warning for New Collectors: Beware of 1st Edition Claims

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Fri Nov 9 14:24:01 EST 2001

In a recent e-mail, SGottlieb at aol.com said (in part):

>In a message dated 11/9/2001 9:15:20 AM, kamins at dogeared.com writes:
>>
>>There is no other published source of gathered information.
>>

>There is, of course, the wrongfully maligned ANDES GUIDE.

Oh, you're right. I forgot about ANDES. My apologies for that one. You an
still find copies of that for sale from time to time on ABE. Henry
recently had a copy available:

George Andes, "a Descriptive Bibliography of the Modern Library" 1989,
privately printed by (I believe) Boston Book Company.

For folks who don't know about this one, it was extremely important in
that it was the first published extensuve source of compiled information
about the Modern Library. Much of the info was incomplete and inaccurate,
but it was in my opinion a noble effort.

>sam (who may deign, one day, to share some previously unrecorded but
>important "first ML points" with the hoi polloi, the rabble, who think they
>are Modern Library afficienados.

We are unworthy.

But I for one, am more than happy to build a temple to anybody who will
help me with my addiction.  :-D

Maintaining the Modern Library Collecting Website at
http://www.dogeared.com
which (in turn) is supported by The Pavilion City Mall at
http://www.pavilioncity.com