Warning for New Collectors: Beware of 1st Edition Claims

j b krygier jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu
Thu Nov 8 19:31:11 EST 2001

Scot Kamins wrote:

> As of late I have noticed an apparent increase in the number of ML copies
> advertised as Firsts on eBay. But in fact many books on eBay listed as
> first modern library editions are later editions.

Do I recall that there is some kind of general rule of thumb that
if an old book has a date but no indication of later printings, that it
is a first edition?  I am assuming that this is why people are claiming
many non 1st MLs to be 1sts (many which have a date and nothing
else).

Also, what happens if you email an eBay seller and inform them
that they don't really have a 1st?  Are they grateful?  Angry?  I have
been tempted to do this a few times (a week or two back there was
a Faulkner ML, advertised as a first but not, with a bid at $50...
seemed almost unethical to not email the seller or bidder about it).

JK

--
j   b   k r y g i e r

g e o l o g y  a n d  g e o g r a p h y
d e l a w a r e  o h  4 3 0 1 5

pho  740 368 3622   |   fax  740 368 3999

jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu   |   http://www.owu.edu/~jbkrygie/