Warning for New Collectors: Beware of 1st Edition Claims

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Tue Nov 6 14:05:02 EST 2001

New collectors,

As of late I have noticed an apparent increase in the number of ML copies
advertised as Firsts on eBay. But in fact many books on eBay listed as
first modern library editions are later editions.

Sometimes this is because the lister makes assumptions about how to tell
if a book is a first edition, sometimes it's because the lister has made
an honest mistake, and sometimes the lister is simply a scoundrel.

Here are some ways to protect yourself, both on eBay and in general:

€ Check the listed first edition points against the Toledano Guide.
€ If the points aren't listed, ask the seller for information - DO NOT
BUY IN A VACUUM.
€ Ask here - that's one of the reasons this group exists!
€ Buy from a reputable dealer. I guarantee the integrity of the following
dealer-members of this listServ, all of whom from time to time or
regularly list books on eBay. If they make a mistake and sell you a book
that turns out NOT to be an advertised first edition, they'll make it
good:
     Sharon Biederman (sbiederm at nova.umuc.edu)
     Amy Comeau
     Sam Gottlieb
     Joe Hill (goodbooks at webtv.net)
     Henry Toledano

Maintaining the Modern Library Collecting Website at
http://www.dogeared.com
which (in turn) is supported by The Pavilion City Mall at
http://www.pavilioncity.com