What's a complete 1970 set worth?

j b krygier jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu
Mon Nov 5 21:00:02 EST 2001

Scot Kamins wrote:

> Got an interesting piece of mail from a Dogeared user this morning. He
> asked (in part):
>
> >What would a complete set of Modern Library from early 70s be worth?  I have
> >a chance to get a hold of one from a former contestant of the Price is Right
> >- the full set was one of her prizes.  She's kept them in boxes since then.
>
> I replied thusly:
>
> "Depends. If they're the numbered set and included all giants and all
> regular issues, all in pristine dust jackets, they'd be worth as much as
> $15/volume on the average. It wouldn't be worth more because there
> wouldn't be more than six or seven firsts in it.

Not that I know much about ML values, but $15 per volume average
seems maybe a bit steep...many decent but common MLs in DJ seem
to go for less than $5 on eBay, for example and only a few of the late
60s firsts are really worth alot.

What would be interesting about this pile of MLs is that it should
contain copies of all the late 1960s redesigned DJs.  I think Henry's
Guide lists at least 30 or 40 of these, and I thought I read somewhere
that there were around 150 redesigned DJs.  However many there are,
many seem uncommon and a good number are missing from Scot's DJ
terrific DJ pages.

JK

--
j   b   k r y g i e r

g e o l o g y  a n d  g e o g r a p h y
d e l a w a r e  o h  4 3 0 1 5

pho  740 368 3622   |   fax  740 368 3999

jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu   |   http://www.owu.edu/~jbkrygie/