Hello ModLib Subscribers

j b krygier jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu
Thu Mar 29 19:56:57 EST 2001

A quick note to those of you who have subscribed to ModLib in the last
few days.  I intended to post a message sooner but have been overwhelmed

by a cold and our 6 week old baby.

If you get this message, you are signed up!

I am not exactly sure how to 'break the ice' and get a discussion going
but
maybe a brief introduction will suffice.

I am a relatively new collector of Modern Library books and found myself

pestering folks like Scot Kamins (www.dogeared.com) with my questions
about ML books.  I mentioned to him that an email discussion group might

be a good idea - given the interest in Scot's WWW site and the interest
in
MLs on eBay.

So this is it!  Scot and I attempted to generate some ideas for the kind
of
topics we might end up discussing on ModLib (which should have come
in the 'welcome to ModLib' email you got when you subscribed) but keep
in mind that the list is not moderated and neither of us has any kind of

agenda for the list.  It can go where ever you want it to.

A few questions I have about MLs (and I have more) - maybe you folks can

answer.

What really are the toughest post 1939 MLs to find?  I guess I don't
have
much hope for a complete ML collection, but figure I can eventually get
all the post '39 MLs (binding 8 onward) and all the variant DJ designs.
Which titles should I panic most about?

Is the 'holy grail' Illustrated Alice in Wonderland really that scarce -
given
that four have shown up on eBay in the last 8 months or so?

Are there any MLs where no known copy exists at all?  Are there any MLs
where no known copy with DJ exists?

What do you do when you have about 700 MLs and no more room?

John K.

--
j   b   k r y g i e r

g e o l o g y   a n d  g e o g r a p h y
d e l a w a r e   o h   4 3 0 1 5

pho  740 368 3622  |  fax  740 368 3999

jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu  |  http://www.owu.edu/~jbkrygie/