A Big Fish That Got Away

John Krygier jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu
Tue Jun 26 10:07:57 EDT 2001

Scot Kamins wrote:

> In a recent e-mail, GOODBOOKS at webtv.net said (in part):
>
> >At that show was a ML  copy of The Great Gatsby,a presentation copy from
> >Scott to Zelda.
> >"To my darling Zelda...etc,etc,etc,"
> >Price: $2,600
> >I did not buy the book,I would do so today.
>
> Not nearly as big, but my tale of woe:
>
> Seven years ago I saw a copy of Dracula with the bat-wing DJ in a small
> shop in Burbank. I didn't buy it because I thought it was too expensive -
> $25.00

Not even a year ago I walked into an East Coast used
bookstore and found several flex MLs w/DJ (two
Sudermann titles, Arrowsmith, Proust) for about 8$
each.  The bookseller told me she sold a pristine ML
copy of "The Great Gatsby" in DJ a few days earlier.
Later that day, at a different store, I did find fine flex
copies of Sons and Lovers and of Huysmans Against
the Grain in DJ for about $10 each.  I guess that made
me feel a bit better.  Not much.

Speaking of 'big fish': what is the highest price a ML
edition has sold for?

I am assuming the highest prices would be for copies
like the Gatsby Joe Hill mentions - inscribed - sold to
non-modern library collectors (not that ML collectors
won't shell out the bucks - as for the Illustrated Alice).

JK

--
j   b   k r y g i e r

a s s i t a n t  p r o f e s s o r  o f  g e o g r a p h y
g e o l o g y  a n d  g e o g r a p h y
d e l a w a r e  o h  4 3 0 1 5

pho  740 368 3622   |   fax  740 368 3999

jbkrygie at cc.owu.edu   |   http://www.owu.edu/~jbkrygie/