"Decline and Fall" query

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Mon Jun 25 15:17:32 EDT 2001

In a recent e-mail, GOODBOOKS at webtv.net said (in part):

>Can we then just agree that it is a matter of semantics?
>The three volume Shakespeare is theTRUE First Edition.
>The two volume Gibbion is the TRUE First Edition.

For newbies: All this is within the overcall context of ML being largely
a reprint house. With certain obvious exceptions (such as the ML
paperback true first of Styron's Long March), there are practically no
real first editions of anything in ML.

This, of course, is why collecting ML's is such an accessible hobby. For
less than $100 you can get an ML first of Pynchon's V in NF/NF condition;
a TRUE first of the same title (J.B. Lippincott, 1963, 8vo., 492pp. fully
bound in violet, etc.) in not nearly as good condition will cost you that
plus an additional $1,000.

+1 (503) 731-5899
Obscurities clarified
Computer books, manuals, and on-line help systems designed and written
Resume at http://www.dogeared.com/teachingResume.html