"Decline and Fall" query

Gordon Neavill aa3401 at wayne.edu
Sun Jun 24 18:16:14 EDT 2001

Most ML collectors want first printings of both the two and three volume versions of Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.  First printings of the 2-volume version (1932) have a first statement on the verso of the title page; first printings of the 3-volume version (1946) don't.  The jackets provide the best way of identifying 3-volume firsts.  The ML lists inside the jackets date from spring 1946 and are headed: "WHICH OF THESE 309 OUTSTANDING BOOKS DO YOU WANT TO READ?"