"Decline and Fall" query

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Sat Jun 23 11:43:19 EDT 2001

Hi Jonathan,

Welcome to the hobby.

>I just purchased a beautiful Three Volume ML (Giant) set of "The Decline and
>Fall of the Roman Empire"....I am new to collecting ML's  ...is it possible
>that it is a first ML edition?

No. The first edition of ML's Decline and Fall came in a two-volume set
published in 1932 (according to the toledano Guide, about which more
later). It was reissued in three volumes in 1945. Fanatic collectors
(such as myself) MUST have both sets in our collections or we can't sleep
well.

>What do I look for to find out?

Judging an ML first can be nightmarish (getting back to sleeping well -
or not). It often involves studying the binding of the book, the
information on the copyright page, and even the style and catalog info on
the suat jacket. There are several articles on dogeared.com talking about
it.

A book you MUST have in order to pursue 1st edition ML collecting is
Henry Toledano's Modern Library Price Guide. It's reviewed at
http://www.dogeared.com/priceguide.html, where you'll find how to direct
from the author.

Scot Kamins
Collecting The Modern Library 1917-1970
(because fanaticism is not limited to politics, religion, or economics)
Want list at http://www.dogeared.com/wtb.html