How scarce is The Alice, anyway?

Scot Kamins kamins at dogeared.com
Thu Jun 21 18:29:47 EDT 2001

Folks,

I note with some amusement that an unjacketed, damaged copy of Alice's
Adventures went for over $100 on eBay. I was struck by this, not only
because that particular copy looked like it had been the object of a
difference of opinion over ownership between two pitbull puppies, but
because it's the 4th or 5th copy that sold on eBay in the last 18 months
or so. (Would somebody who tracks the actual sales records -- Amy or Pete
perhaps -- please post the dates, condition, and prices? )

It brings up the question of how scarce - it certainly isn't rare by any
means - this piece actually is. Much scarcer, obvious at least to me, are
any VG/VG copies of B&L titles, or any DJ'd copies of Maltese Falcon
firsts, or ANY DJ'd copies of Gatsby.

I mean, something is worth what somebody will pay for it (as Henry has
pointed out in a previous discussion). But is a chewed up copy what is
becoming nearly a commonplace really worth over a hundred smackers
without its DJ? All right, it's not as common as Tono Bungay, but still...

     `\|||/                     Scot Kamins
      (@@)