1928/29 Pictorial DJs

dbapaper at ix.netcom.com dbapaper at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 8 17:31:29 EDT 2001

Barry,

     I have a First Edition of The Memoirs of Casanova with a Toledano Type 5 DJ (p.178 of guide) similar in style to John's copy of The Cabala. It's in the "Gift Set" style, with no mention of The Modern Library on the front panel; two numbers on the spine, above and below the title; and the "transitional" rear panel without solid rules.  The DJ has the Spring 1929 list on the reverse side and "159 books" on the rear panel. Like John's Cabala, this DJ credits the author of the introduction on the front panel, which I believe was dropped in later versions.
     I reported this DJ to Scott a few weeks ago because it seemed to push back the correct first issue number for the DJ, which is listed in the guide as 169. I'm not sure about the propriety of attaching a scan to a listserv email, so I'm sending a scan to you (with a copy to Scot Kamins). Perhaps you can respond to the group later.

Amy Comeau